SEND A MESSAGE
Medical Coding is the process of converting healthcare procedures/diagnosis, medical equipments/services into universally accepted 7 digit alphanumeric codes. The diagnoses and procedures are sources from Electronic Health record (EHR) which comprises transcriptions of physicians notes, physician voice files, lab results, radiology results, clinical statements.
The medical coding sector took off well after the transition from ICD 9-CM to ICD 10-CM in 2015 and there was a steep growth in all verticals across the healthcare services management industry leading to increase of 10 – 12 million job opportunities for medical coders.
Why Medical Coding
- Increased efficiency of Healthcare professionals.
- Cost effectiveness.
- Skilled Man power.
- Reduced Operating cost.
Scope of Medical Coding
Medical coding is being increasingly used in the present scenario, to create a proper record of patient care, streamline the medical billing process, accelerate payments to physicians, and identify the healthcare areas that require focus.
Major factors propelling the growth of the market include the escalating demand for coding services, rising need for a universal language to reduce frauds and misinterpretations associated with insurance claims, and high demand to streamline hospital billing procedures.
The Medical Coding and Billing Industry has met the cutting edge of information technology due to which there have been several channels opened towards placements in the health information field. These open doors have diversified and created platforms for the aspiring generation who have laid their career in the health information field.
Medical Coders and Billers play an important role in the financial success of private practices and other healthcare facilities. The greater the expertise of the Medical Coder in identifying relevant diagnoses for patient encounters, the greater the insurance reimbursement to the physician this field generates medical coders who specialize in coding after a thorough training program and a certification process. The American Academy of professional coders (www.aapc.com) and American Health Information Management Association (www.ahima.org) offers certification.
There is a high demand for medical billers and coders in the current job market. Thus, coding-related jobs are expanding, due to the growing landscape of the business side of healthcare, along with their efficiency to automate large amounts of work. Hence, the escalating demand for coding jobs is likely to drive the market studied across the world.
In fact, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, Healthcare is the largest U.S. industry, making this career a sound choice and healthcare support professionals, including Medical Coders, are one of the 10 fastest-growing allied health occupations, and, studies show that Certified Coders and Billers are paid accordingly for their exceptional medical coding and billing skills. Transorze Offers 100% Job Oriented and Certification oriented.
The technological advancements in the healthcare industry and constantly changing classification systems are expected to create potential revenue opportunities for players operating in the target market over the forecast period.
In addition, data security is a major concern for healthcare organizations, and offshore coding companies are also becoming aware of these data security concerns, while understanding that breach in a client’s data is likely to result in the loss of business. Thus, leading offshore coding firms are building a secure environment for the coders to work in.
Medical coding training comprises
- Anatomy: This is the study of the structure and identity of body parts
- Physiology: This is the study of how these parts function and relate to one another.
- ICD – 10: International Classification of Diseases which is the 10th revision Procedure Coding System. ICD-10 codes are alphanumeric codes used for diagnoses. Every disease, disorder, injury, infection and physiological symptom has its own ICD-10 code.
- CPT: Current Procedural Terminology: This is a procedural code and is used for reporting medical, diagnostic and surgical services provided by health care professionals. They are also used to track important health data and measure performance and efficiency. Majority of the codes are numeric in nature.
- HCPCS: Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System. The main aim of this system is to ensure accurate, consistent billing and processing of insurance claims. HCPCS codes are mainly used for billing and identify items and non-physician based services such as ambulance services, prosthetic devices.
Medical Coding Curriculum
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Medical Terminology. Pre-fix, Suffix, Abbreviations
- All human systems
- ICD-10 CM
- Introduction to medical coding
- Structure & conventions
- General Coding guidelines
- Chapter specific guidelines
- CPT-4: Procedure Coding
- Evaluation and Management Coding
- Anesthesia Coding
- Surgery Coding
- Radiology Coding
- Pathology Coding
- Medicine Coding
- HCPCS Coding
- Medical Billing
- Revenue Cycle Management
- HIPAA Training
- CPC sample question papers with hundreds of coding practice scenarios
CERTIFICATION IN MEDICAL CODING
Certification courses for coding & billing are provided by two American institutes, the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) and the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). The certificates provided by these associations are valid throughout the US and in India, and recently in Gulf countries like Dubai and Abu Dhabi, which have also begun implementing the training and certification provided by these institutes.
While there are several types of credentials by which one can become certified, the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) and the Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) are the most popular.
CPC (Certified Professional Coder) is a certification that is awarded by AAPC (American Academy for Professional Coders) and is the most recognized credential worldwide. In most countries like USA, Middle East, UK etc. it is mandatory to clear the CPC exam in order to get a job. In India, it is possible to get a job without CPC certification but salaries slabs are lower than that of CPC certified medical coders
Exam Pattern for CPC exam
- 150 multiple choice questions
- 5 hours and 40 minutes to finish the exam
- Open book exam
CPC Certified Medical Coders have a great career opportunity in India, UAE, Philippines, Canada and various other countries. Call +91-9495833319 or enquire today for more details.
WHAT IS THE MEDICAL CODING AND BILLING PROCESS?
The process of insurance claims involves the following steps:
- The patient visits his/her doctor and a diagnosis is made.
- The diagnosis is entered in the patient’s medical records.
- The records are sent for medical coding and billing.
- The procedure and diagnostic codes are identified and an industry-recognized code is assigned and transmitted to the insurance company.
- Based on the codes, the insurance company then decides on the adequacy of the coverage and the medical necessity of the services.
Medical coding jobs involve administrative tasks that demand a keen eye for detail, especially because it is a coder’s primary job to assign accurate codes for each claim. When the claim involves amounts over a certain limit, the insurance company has its medical staff review the claim and validate the payment based on various factors such as eligibility, medical necessity, etc. If validated, the claims are reimbursed to the patient. On the other hand, if a claim is rejected or denied for some reason, it is usually returned to the provider with an explanation. Thus, an insurance claim begins with a patient visiting a healthcare provider and ends with him/her receiving a payment from the patient’s insurance carrier.
Billing involves ensuring the correctness of the claim amount. This might necessitate speaking with patients and/or the insurance companies. It requires learning to read medical invoices and understanding the coding language. Medical Coding, however, does not require interaction with either the insurance companies or the patients. A coder simply analyses clinical statements and transforms the verbal description of diseases, injuries, conditions, and procedures into codes.
Career options for a medical coder :
Medical coders also known as clinical coders or medical records technician analyse the EHRs and assign the relevant code using the standard classification system. The use of standard classification facilitates the health insurance providers to map the services provided by different service providers who may use varied medical terminology or abbreviations in the claim forms.
Medical coding leads to a very lucrative career. An average medical coder makes approx USD 21 per hour or USD 45000 per year.
The medical coding jobs are expected to increase by 13% in 2026 as against 7% growth in other sectors. This boost has been given by an aging population, and also more diseases are being assigned codes.
There was a transition from ICD 9 to ICD 10 in 2016.
- The number of codes increased from 16000 to 1,25,000
- More than 30 million more USA citizens got covered by insurance
- There is an increase of more than 10.5 million jobs
- There is great scope for employment in Medical coding
Career growth of Medical Coder
CAREER & SALARY OF CODER & BILLERS
Pay scale of medical coder ranges from USD 50,000 to USD 60,000 per year. The remuneration for such roles increases dramatically after completion of the CPC, (Certified Professional Coder) the industry-recognized certification course.
Why should one take the Medical Coding and Billing Course?
- Improve earning potential
- Open the door to more opportunities for career advancement
- Increase job mobility and choices even in the face of a tough job market
- Reach not only short-term job goals, but also position yourself for success in a long-term career
- Earn up to USD 60,000 per year*
Qualification: Any Graduate
START YOUR CAREER AS MEDICAL CODING OR BILLING PROFESSIONAL
Start your new career in Medical Coding in as little as three months. In Transorze Medical Coding program, you’ll practice real-world examples of coding and how to manage records. We also have specialized courses for equipping you for CPC Certification and ICD-10 Coding. We’ll help you succeed with expert instruction from dedicated faculty members with real-world experience. Transorze provides both classroom and online programs with personalized student support.
This program provides everything you’ll need to prepare for a better future and land in an assured job in 12 weeks.
- Give wings to your medical coding career with Transorze
Why Transorze for Medical Coding
Transorze provides the best medical coding training in Kerala, India. Our trainers are CPC-certified and have a rich experience in the field of medical coding. Transorze provides hands on training with exposure to real life situations.
- Highly researched, customized, and updated training material.
- CPC certified senior faculty having rich coding and training experience
- Focused training sessions, one-on-one feedback and counseling by experience faculty
- Scientific approach to academic delivery that makes it easy for even non-science students to grasp
- 100 % placement assistance
- Latest AAPC coding materials
- Special emphasis on CPC exam clearance. Multiple practice mock exams using previous 5 years AAPC model questions.
- Chapter specific quizzes, self-evaluations and handouts
- Special focus on Job training and interview preparation
- Notification about job requirements and medical coding related news
- Individual tracking of student progress.
- Certification provided after successful completion of training.
- Advance your career continuing your work
Pay course fee in instalments
ONLINE TRAINING IN MEDICAL CODING & BILLING
A person involved in Coding & Billing requires intense preparation and training.
After training a Medical Coder / Biller can:
- Collect information from patient records to complete insurance claims
- Interpret medical records
- Accurately assign diagnostic and procedural codes for reimbursement
- Learn about the reimbursement methodologies and fee schedules
- Ensure accurate claims submission
- Calculate and collect payments for medical procedures and services
- Update patient data, develop payment plans and prepare invoices
- Work in medical administrative offices to ensure that patients are billed quickly and accurately.
Benefits of Online Training
- Study when and where required
- Advance your career continuing your work
- Achieve your goals without sacrificing your job
- 3/6 Months Training
- Pay the fees in instalments
CPC CERTIFICATION TRAINING
A comprehensive Medical Coding and Billing Training for Success in CPC Exams. Certification-prep course to prepare for CPC certification from AAPC (must have for people planning to work in countries such as UAE, US & Canada).
ELIGIBILITY – Any Graduation
COURSE TYPE – Online & Classroom
DURATION – 3.5 Months (200 Hours of Materials)
INDUSTRY EXPERT’S ASSISTANCE – Weekly 2 hours classes by CPC certified senior faculties with experience from reputed organizations (Mode of Instruction: Online).
ICD-10 CERTIFICATION TRAINING
ICD-10 Training in India imparts an extensive knowledge of the healthcare industry. Medical coding training covers detailed medical terminology, medical coding and billing aspects. Medical Coding, Billing training in India is for 2 to 3 months.
ELIGIBILITY – Knowledge in ICD-09 & Graduation
COURSE TYPE – Online & Classroom
DURATION – 4 Weeks
INDUSTRY EXPERT’S ASSISTANCE – Weekly 2 hours classes by CPC certified senior faculties with experience from reputed organizations (Mode of Instruction: Online)